.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

12/07/2005

 

Survive the Holidays: Fend off Family Fueds

Now that holiday gatherings are upon us, I've received a number of questions about how to fend off rude relatives.

Below is Barbara's question. Anyone have a suggestion?

What do you think of the question, "What do YOU do all day?" I think this is such a judgemental and rude question. I am entering the job market after a long absence and it has been difficult to find the right job or even to get an interview. So, I have a part time job at this point, simply to gain some job experience to add to my resume.

But, since I am only working part time and my son is away at College, I often get that question from friends, and even from close relatives at holiday gatherings! "What do You do all day?" I am so offended by this question, because I know that it is not a question at all, it is more of an accusation--that since I am only working part time, I must spend the rest of my time picking my butt or something.

How should I respond to this rude question without being rude myself? Why don't people realize what a rude question this is?

Here's a suggestion from one of our blog readers...

I don't know exactly what to say to them to make them stop, but if you want to make sure that you don't say anything rude, remember to not tell them anything when you are in "the mood". This is advice I try to follow myself and it has saved me from some major scrapes.

Also, if you don't have the intent on being rude, then if they react, they are only reacting because they are super sensitive about something. It seems that people are either supersensitive about something or are super rude... you can't really win anymore.

But as long as you are nice and have no mean intentions, you will become a rare breed... a nice person!

Comments:
I don't know exactly what to say to them to make them stop, but if you want to make sure that you don't say anything rude, remember to not tell them anything when you are in "the mood". This is advice I try to follow myself and it has saved me from some major scrapes.

Also, if you don't have the intent on being rude, then if they react, they are only reacting because they are super sensitive about something. It seems that people are either supersensitive about something or are super rude... you can't really win anymore.

But as long as you are nice and have no mean intentions, you will become a rare breed... a nice person!
 
or you could go into BORING detail.
i wake up
i make coffee
i drink the coffee
i turn on the tv to watch the morning news
i get dressed
i go the bathroom when the coffee kicks in
i wash dishes
then i do some laundry
i make out a shopping list
i then answer emails.
i look for a job
by that time it's lunch
i make a sandwich
i put mayonaise on my sandwich
i eat the sandwich
(you get the point)
 
Normally when someone ask that question, it is because they are jealous of you . They wish they could be in your shoes. They would like to not have to hustle up in the morning and punch a time clock and be on a certain schedule all day. Working at home in the hardest work in the world. Keeping a clean house and keeping up the laundry, doesn't JUST happen! Someone has to do it! And if you have children, well that is another full time job. Someone has to feed them, do the laundry and teach them many things.It is and can be the hardest job in the world.The only perk is, you don't have to dress all up! You can stay in your comfortable clothes all day! Yeah!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?